A well-maintained home is enjoyable in any season. Tackle a few of these tasks each week and reap the rewards!
- Decks and patios are much more inviting when they’re clean, so get out that pressure washer. Be sure to follow directions to prevent damage.
- If house or trim paint is peeling, cracked or chipped, repair and repaint now to prevent damage to the underlying materials.
- Remove window screens and clean them with a soft brush and soapy water. Rinse well and allow to dry in the sun before reinstalling.
- Repair any holes in the screens or replace the screening material.
- Have the air conditioning system serviced. Promote good air flow by keeping plants trimmed back from around the condenser unit.
- Seal cracks in the driveway and walkways.
- Replace broken sprinkler heads and/or emitters in the irrigation system. Check for proper water coverage and adjust if necessary.
- Change the rotation of ceiling fans to the summer setting and give the blades a good dusting.
- Close the chimney flue to keep insects out and cool air in.
- Clean out the ashes from wood-burning fireplaces and inspect the firebox for cracks or other damage. Scheduling needed repairs in the summer means you won’t be on a waiting list come fall.
- Hang area rungs over a deck or porch rail to air out.
- Swap out heavy bedding for lightweight summer fabrics. Have comforters and duvets cleaned before storing them away for the season.
- Repot houseplants to help promote growth and plant health.